1 Nov 2020
If the holidays mean cooking for you and your family, sign up for a cooking class at Chef Darin’s Kitchen Table in Savannah. Chef Darin Sehnert has been passionate about food since learning in the kitchen with his grandmas and mom. A fascination with the Osterizer blender cookbook at the age of 9 developed into a lifelong love of baking. For more than a decade, he has used that creativity to conduct cooking classes and share his love of the culinary arts.
Several upcoming classes will get you set for holiday entertaining.
- One Dough – Lots of Cookies! is a three-and-a-half-hour class scheduled Nov. 3, Nov. 18 and Dec. 16. Minimize your cookie baking stress for the upcoming holidays by learning how one basic butter cookie dough can turn into a variety of flavors and textures with simple additions. Chef Darin will also share how to adjust the texture and appearance of cookies by understanding the role of ingredients.
- Hors d’oeuvres Entertaining is set Nov. 8 and Nov. 21. Get ready for casual or elegant gatherings with recipes that can be used any time of the year. Learn to make a variety of hors d’ oeuvres that are tasty and easy to prepare like caraway and fennel crisps, red rice-stuffed mushrooms, black bean cakes with shrimp & corn salsa, baked crab toast and more.
- Learn to create a yule log cake in the Buche de Noel class, offered Nov. 25 and Dec. 12. Add a new tradition with this classic French holiday dessert. Guests will learn the techniques for a perfect chocolate sponge cake, as well as options for filling, chocolate buttercream, and garnishing ideas and techniques. Each guest will prepare their own chocolate yule log cake to take with them.
- If you are in town for Turkey Day, join Chef Darin’s for a Thanksgiving Day dinner on Nov. 25. Enjoy a delicious holiday feast without the cleanup and prep. You will also learn some recipes to add to your own holiday lineup, like Waldorf salad with cranberry horseradish cream dressing; fresh cranberry relish; citrus & herb sheet pan turkey; sourdough, sausage and fennel dressing; gratin of potatoes with gruyere and creme Fraiche; maple-glazed parsnips; and sweet potato and buttermilk pie with pecans. Sounds delicious!
- Savor Southern-inspired flavors with the Savannah Christmas Brunch on Nov. 28. Chef Darin will share a “do ahead” menu that’s great for Christmas morning festivities. Dishes include ambrosia compote, corn and scallion muffins, savory grits, eggs baked in a nest of creamy goat cheese, and “Banana Pudding” crepes with warm Bailey’s toffee sauce.
- Bring the family for the two-hour Gingerbread House Workshop on Nov. 29. Enjoy spiced cider and hot cocoa as you decorate a pre-assembled gingerbread house with plenty of royal icing, candy and a sprinkle of holiday spirit. Chef Darin will demonstrate techniques to easily assemble the house so you can craft your own at home, too. Children must be accompanied by an adult. One assembled house will be provided per primary admission.
Other classes include Low Country Cooking, Winter Brunch, Dinner Party Entertaining, Easy Elegant Entertaining and more. Go online to register for a class during your holiday Savannah getaway. Chef Darin’s Kitchen Table is located on the edge of the Victorian District at 2514 Abercorn St., not far from our carriage houses and townhome properties.